Translate

miércoles, 29 de abril de 2015

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HIKING AND TREKKING

Yesterday I talked about our blog to my friend Andrew. He told me that he liked it very much. But he asked me a very good question: "I don't understand" -he said-. Why do you say always HIKING and not TREKKING?"

Initially, I did not know what to say to make him understand what is the difference. I had never thought about it before. But I discovered there are many people that have the same doubt.

So, what is the difference between hiking and trekking? Are them the same thing with different names? Do you know the correct answer?
We could start by saying that both are very similar as activity (people walking through forest and mountains). However, they have not the same meaning:

Hiking in "Gorbea Park" (from Wikimedia Commons)

Hiking is more related with free time and trails or paths made by man. People try to enjoy and they go more relaxed.

Trekking in "Mount Tallac" (from Wikimedia Commons)

Trekking means walk on lands with an adventurous perspective and challenge the own body and mind. It is performed in a variety of terrains and people is usually more prepared (better material and physical condition).

Besides, trekking intensity is greater than hiking (although sometimes they have not differences) because the terrains are not the same and they are harder as a rule.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Thank you for being part of this blog.